Minimizing Your Taxes and Managing Your Complex Affairs

Tax Tips, Finance Tips, Fun Events

Tips for Individuals, Businesses and Charities. Fun Events.

How To Report Illegally Rented San Francisco Below Market Rate Condos

Below market rate (BMR) units cannot be rented at all. Since our tax dollars subsidize owners of BMR units, BMR owners who illegal rent the units are defrauding each SF taxpayer.



To report illegally rented units:


Please call the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development  at (415) 701-5500 or submit a letter to Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development  (MOHCD), attention BMR Program, 1 S. Van Ness Ave., 5th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. The letter can be made anonymous, but please do include the property address you are reporting, as well as the condominium unit or apartment number.


You can also make a complaint about potential violations of San Francisco’s Planning Code or other municipal codes, call the City Attorney’s Code Enforcement Hotline, 415-554-3977. 



2 lawsuits by the City filed can be seen at

 The lawsuit also seeks penalties of up to $2,500 for each unlawful, unfair, or fraudulent act by the defendants, as well as penalties of at least $200 per day for violations of the Planning Code. Combined, those penalties could total hundreds of thousands of dollars per defendant. The City also seeks attorney’s fees as well as enforcement costs.

Richard Pon CPA, CFP